How to Maintain Your Certification
Continuing education is an integral part of every professional's career. For this reason, ATA-certified translators must fulfill the continuing education requirement to maintain their certification. See which activities qualify for continuing education, how many Continuing Education Points (CEPs) can be obtained, and what documentation is recommended.
Loss of Certification
- If you do not meet the continuing education requirements, your certification will be rescinded.
- If you let your certification lapse and did not submit CEPs for more than three years, you can only become ATA certified again by taking and passing the ATA Certification Exam.
Your credentials will be removed from ATA’s online directories and you will be prohibited from using all CT designations until you complete the outstanding requirements.
If you lose your certification, ATA will inform you of the process required to reactivate it. Loss of certification does not affect your ATA membership status.
- If you let your ATA membership lapse, your certification will be rescinded.
If your membership lapsed less than three years ago, you need to renew your ATA membership and fulfill the continuing education requirements.
If your membership lapsed more than three years ago, you need to renew your ATA membership and take the exam again.
Continuing Education FAQs
- I am certified in more than one language combination. Do I have to complete 20 CEPs for each?
No. Only 20 CEPs are required, regardless of the number of certifications.
- Can I earn CEPs before I am notified that I passed the certification exam?
No. Your reporting period does not begin until you have received notice that you are certified.
- Do I have to earn CEPs to keep my voting membership privileges?
No. If you do not meet the continuing education requirement, you will lose your certification but retain your voting member status.
- How do I know when I need to report my CEPs?
A notice will appear in your Member Center six months before you need to report your CEPs. ATA will also send you an email one month before you need to report.
- Can I report CEPs and submit the required documentation as I gather them?
No. You are required to keep a record of your CEPs and documentation until it is time to report your total CEPs.
Activities Qualifying for Continuing Education Points (CEPs)
There are a range of activities that qualify as continuing education, including attending sessions, writing articles, teaching, independent study, volunteering, client outreach, and more. Repeating an identical continuing education opportunity does not earn additional CEPs.
Acceptable continuing education may include, but is not limited to, the following:
You must complete the ATA Ethics Module during your first three-year reporting period. You may complete the free Ethics Module online to meet this requirement.
- 1 CEP
- Maximum of 1 CEP per reporting period
- This activity only needs to be completed once
- Signed verification statement
Category A: Sessions (in-person/online)
Attending sessions on T&I (including T&I-related specialty fields and business practices), offered or authorized by industry-recognized professionals, organizations, corporations, agencies, and institutions of higher learning. Sessions may be online but must be instructor-led and interactive.
- 1 CEP per hour
- Maximum of 5 CEPs per day (10 CEPs per multi-day event)
- No maximum per reporting period
- Certificate of attendance, receipt, or letter of completion for each event
Category B: Independent Study
Independent study of T&I (including T&I-related specialty fields and business practices) through audio, video, online sessions (non-instructor-led), articles, and publications, offered or authorized by industry-recognized professionals, organizations, corporations, agencies, and institutions of higher learning.
- 1 CEP per hour
- Maximum of 5 CEPs per reporting period
- Completed Independent Study Verification Form for each activity
Category C: Writing/Editing
Authoring or editing published books or articles on T&I.
- 6 CEPs per published book; 2 CEPs per published article
- Maximum of 8 CEPs per reporting period
- Title, publisher, and date of book or article
Category D: Teaching
Teaching or developing a T&I course, seminar, or workshop. Credit may be earned for new presentations only. Repeating the same presentation does not earn additional points.
- 2 CEPs per hour
- No maximum per reporting period
- Title, length, and date of presentation, and name of sponsoring organization
Category E: Volunteering
Volunteerism in T&I-related work or school outreach presentations.
- 1 CEP per two hours of T&I-related work; 1 CEP per hour of school outreach
- Maximum of 10 CEPs per reporting period
- Description of activity, hours given, and name of sponsoring organization
This category of activities no longer qualifies for CEPs. If you have a question about this change, contact the Certification Program Manager.
Category G: Membership
Membership in professional associations other than ATA.
- 1 CEP per membership
- Maximum of 3 CEPs per reporting period
- Proof of membership